Preparing the sausage mixture
Before going in the oven
After – as you can see, it was yummy!
- 3/4* of a 16 ounce package ziti pasta (* my hubby likes a lot of sauce so I
usually cook the whole box and use the leftover pasta for pasta salad later)
- 4 Italian sausage – casing removed and broken into bite size pieces.
- 1/2 onion-chopped
- 1/2 sweet red pepper- chopped
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 TBS Italian Seasoning
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 (32 ounce) jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce or make your own sauce.
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add ziti and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain and rinse.
- Sauté the sausage, onion & peppers and add spaghetti sauce.
- In a medium bowl, mix the ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, seasoning and egg
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Lightly grease a casserole baking dish and lightly cover the bottom with spaghetti sauce. Layer with 1/2 of pasta then with 1/2 of cheese mixture, then some sauce. Repeat layers, top with remaining spaghetti sauce, followed by Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes; let stand for 15 minutes before serving.